Blog post three or me and my ed-tech adventures-ee. On this day we examined the use of educational videos and also had a tutorial on video editing software by Rich McCue. Side note: Rich McCue has led two of our tutorials. He just has that calm tutorial demeanour and tone of voice that could give Bob Ross a run for his money. 

Carrying on, firstly, we examined the use of educational videos. I love good educational videos and often will use youtube as a launch point for my own research. I hope to seamlessly incorporate them into my classroom. We can all remember the lame videos that we were forced to watch in high school. The CRT, motorcycle strapped to a cart, with VHS’s that felt so old that they were more keyed toward our grandparent’s generation than our own. Though, to give credit to my high school teachers, I have experienced how difficult it is to find a good video that balances entertaining with education. I had to teach a class on mime and I found the most informational ones to be from 1975. However, I tried to balance it with some modern dance to draw a comparison between the two. The students still hated the older film despite my best efforts I’ll link it below so you readers can groan like my students did.

✅Marcel Marceau I Bip As A Skater [1975] by CIRCOFRENIA on YOUTUBE.COM

I understand they can be so much more and have an archive of videos I enjoy. I hope to continue building my library with more modern examples so the students are so removed from the content. Or, at least, I am able to provide videos that I am passionate about so I can sell the students on the content.

Next, we had Rich McCue as a guest. He lead us through a tutorial on Openshot and I, personally, found this workshop the most useful so far in regards to tutorials. I was able to instantly apply the knowledge to another class for an introductory video. I will undoubtedly use this software in the future and the short video-making format. Heck, if I can’t find the educational video that I want to use I could always make it. And now, I have the ability to do so. I’ve linked the video I built for the other class below!

Cheers!

R