I went to Tracy Humphrey’s BCedaccess session. However, I am just now reading about Damon Kirsebom’s story at https://unitedforcommunicationchoice.org/damon-kirsebom-when-people-see-me-typing/851/

I’ll get into the session later. I just wanted to comment on how beautiful and inspiring this young man’s story is. I think it encapsulates my understanding of access, which is giving equitable access to all students to both learning, and the world around them.

I know I really struggled in school. Though I haven’t been diagnosed as of yet, I know I have ADHD. I didn’t realize what shaped my experience in elementary and high school was my neurodiversity. I didn’t understand how I was different but I knew I was and often found myself struggling against both my nature and the school system. However, getting an assessment back then would have meant being put in a program that wouldn’t end with a dogwood so my parents opted to not have one. (My older brother was assessed and his high school experience was even worse than my own).

Photo by Tara Winstead from Pexels

After our session with Tracey, the system does seem better but it is nowhere near where it should be. We talked about utilizing techs such as FM systems and AAC (Augmented alternative communication, much like what Damon uses in the video above). However, one of the main points she discussed was near the end. She emphasized that IEP’s can be very valuable, so long as the teachers use them.

Finally, we talked about stigmatization. I know, from my own experience, there was a stigma around ADHD. While I knew I had some sort of learning disability early on, I never asked my parents or the school to look into it (In primary elementary I was placed in a specialized learning group for a couple of weeks because I couldn’t focus in class. It was short-lived because they determined my reading was actually at a higher than average level.). Again, this was partially because of my parents worrying I would be treated like my older brother. However, it was also because every show I watched (mostly the simpsons), every comic I read (a lot of MAD), and the news I watched (Chek, weird for a kid – I know) characterized ADHD kids as vibrating little monsters who would be fed pills until they were zombies. Now I know it’s different, and it can be better. Not only for me but my future learners.

R