This week was all about Jeff Hopkins and his inquiry-based independent school PSII. This class was interesting as I have strong notions and feelings about independent schools. However, after listening to Jeff, I was a little more favourable – at least to his situation. Jeff took us through what happens at his school and the model he uses. But, and I think as importantly, he took us through the process he had to take to bring this school to life. His struggle to have the creative freedom to pursue his pedagogical principles is inspiring. And the fact that affluent parents were willing to spend a lot of money to send their children to his school really means something. I hope that as he becomes more grounded he will struggle, as had as he did to create his school, for creating access to that style of learning for less affluent learners. It’s important we try our best to create equitable opportunity or we are failures as educators.

It sounded like all of his students did quite well. The evidence of the learning and creativity they brought to their inquiry projects was just astounding. I, personally, feel the inquiry model is the best model for creating self-regulated learners with a high level of self-efficacy and agency. Additionally, it’s the model I tend to do my best work in here in post-secondary. Back to Jeff, I was particularly blown away by the business acumen of the student who created the site for selling her fellow students’ art. I, however, can’t find the link that I had thought I had bookmarked if anyone knows what I am talking about feel free to comment below. My only critique is that I can’t seem to find a mention of it in my notes of community work. The student’s projects that were shared with us were a lot about innovating their own businesses and projects. I hope that is just the fact I was loose and fast with my note-taking or Jeff failed to mention it. Because, just like equitable learning, students should be focused on building community and connecting with the humans around them.

Jeff has done some amazing things and Jeff’s school is still young and well, so is Jeff. I hope he continues to refine his model into one that is accessible for all learners and keeps the students thoughtful of how they can help those around them as much as they can help themselves.

Cheers!

R